Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Attending a Networking Night


I came expecting to learn from the experts but the whole event turned out to be a marketing event for Summit Publishing's Entrepreneur Magazine. Malou and I went there to learn from the speakers about  their experiences and how it could help the audience put up their own business.

I don't know if it was just me but aside from the tasty food catered by Threesixty Bar and Restaurant at A Venue in Makati City and the host, the whole thing did not meet my expectations. The place was cramped, the registration was frustrating - they dropped my name and Malou's from the list after registering ahead of the rest - and the presentations were (with much due respect to the presenters) long and 75% pointless. The speakers were obviously not oriented right (or was the event itself confused?) and aside from Anton De Leon of ourawesomeplanet.com, the other two speakers (and I applaud their achievements) did do nothing much to provide practical steps in putting up a food business and/or how the industry is doing. I expected more from Entrepreneur Philippines because, like the magazine, it provides practical information for aspiring entrepreneurs. This one flopped big time. They're event organizing is part of their tool to create relevance with the magazine as they celebrate their 10th Year Anniversary so I do expected more from the event as far as content of the Networking Night is concerned.

Malou and I left without knowing how we can put up our food business throughout the whole thing. I mean, what is networking night anyway? It was my first time to attend and I wished they explained what these events are all about. I felt I was taken for granted and their ad - I felt I was taken for a ride. Good thing I enjoy reading the magazine otherwise it would've been "bye-bye."

The management should not be content in just running one of the most successful magazines in the world right now and they should follow that up with a solid event presentation that will make more Entrepreneurs feel like a winner.

They probably forgot that businessmen are busy people and if they continue organizing events like this, this way then I think people will not come. Oh yeah, thanks to Facebook, the event was well attended and the management didn't foresee that. Ergo, it was a cramped place. Poor planning.

Anyway, I look forward to a much improved Networking Nights like this from Summit Publishing.

Posted via email from Born 1973

No comments: